Sunday, July 20, 2008

Encouragement

As I work to put together my first non-fiction book, I feel occasional doubt that I can transform from a fiction writer to a convincing non-fiction writer. When I first began writing articles, I found the process challenging. It was a struggle! Which is probably why I have divided up my non-fiction book into small chapters that feel like long articles. (And of course, I am receiving assistance in that several other authors are contributing to this book.)

Yesterday I allowed my husband to read the chapter on understanding basic human behavior. When he incredulously asked if I actually wrote it, I hesitantly replied yes, believing something was wrong.
He was astounded my the quality of the piece and claimed it was as good as the book he is currently reading, (which is Gary Chapman's latest).

Now I always get a 'very good' or 'really enjoyed' it out of my husband. And I know my stories occasionally wrestle an emotional response from him as well. This was different. This was a whole new level.

He'd told me a long time ago that I might just become well known for my non-fiction rather than my fiction. Wouldn't it be wild if he were right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be great!
Cynthia Harris

cyannris.googlepages.com

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Thanks, Cynthia! I will just keep believing...