It’s time for another edition of The Insecure Writer’s Support Group, founded by Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh.
September 2 question - Do you have a favorite character archetype you tend to gravitate toward in your writing?
Nathan Baugh has an extensive list of character archetypes HERE. Seventy-seven in fact!
I would say a lot of my characters tend to fall between brooding loner and resilient survivor. Most of my In Darkness characters fell in that range as did several of my Circle of Friends characters. I guess as an only child who has been through some stuff, I can relate to those archetypes.
* * *
The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is fifteen years old this month!
To celebrate, Alex has asked that we list our books with links and when visiting other members, purchase some of their books.
I’m just going to link three of my books:
How to Publish and Promote Your Book Now!
In Darkness (paranormal romance)
Overcoming Obstacles with Spunk! The Keys to Leadership & Goal-Setting


12 comments:
I can definitely relate to the brooding loner from my own life. Love your charcuterie board
OMGOODNESS! That board is amazing!! I feel like nibbling...
I'm going to start coming to your house for meals. Yum!
I looked up Nathan's list. My characters are resilient survivors. They have undergone significant trauma, and their stories are of their healing and overcoming. Thank you for helping me to put that into words! Oh, and I'll be in the door right behind Melissa!
Your boards are so inspiring! I've written loners too! Not solely but they are in there.
I like a brooding hero.
Food looks delicious.
Resilient survivor is always a good one.
I'm not sure what archetypes I'm drawn to. It's not something I give much thought to, so whatever my characters end up being is a complete accident.
Wow! Seventy-seven? I knew about some, but not that many.
I have a loner-type in one of my books, but not in a brooding way, it's just that no one else understands her. Your charcuterie board looks amazing as always. I got your promotion book and am excited to dive in!
That's funny! Most people have been referencing a list of ten types, and I kept shaking my head because the writing world (or world in general) is much more nuanced than that. I don't know if my types fit within people's boxes, but I know these characters from the 5 brothers, 2 sisters, many, many cousins, aunts, uncles, etc in my life. I think when we write from reality we embody the most relatable characters.
I always love seeing your work-of-art charcuterie board! I'd like to try it sometime! I think it is time for me to re-read your Leadership book. It is timeless!
Post a Comment