Wednesday, March 01, 2023

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group and Visions of Atlantis


It’s time for another edition of The Insecure Writer’s Support Group, founded by Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Today’s question: Have you ever read a line in a novel or a clever plot twist that caused you to have author envy?

I can’t think of a line (and I’m amazed at those who remember lines from books) but I can think of some plot twists. And honestly, all three come from Dancing Lemur Press authors.


Bloodwalker by L.X. Cain
– there were multiple twists in this one and spread throughout the story. And such solid, amazing writing and storytelling skills. She didn’t just create a great story, she wrote it perfectly.


Dragon of the Stars by Alex J. Cavanaugh
– the big twist toward the end really surprised me, along with a lot of reviewers. He ventured beyond the Cassa universe and came up with a really unique and clever tale.


Big Red by Damien Larkin
– This wins for plot twists. You think you’ve figured out what is happening, why they are on Mars, when they are on Mars…but you’re wrong! It’s just crazy but it works so well.

All three of those just amaze me. I wish I wrote that brilliantly.


* * *



Thanks to everyone who has read and reviewed In Darkness: The Vampire, my first new release in 10 years.


You can find it here: Amazon / iTunes / Barnes & Noble / Kobo / Scribed / Goodreads



* * *



And finally, my amazing husband treated me to a concert and VIP passes for one of my favorite bands, Visions of Atlantis.



They came to NC last year, touring with several other bands, and we did the VIP pass then, too. But this time, they were headlining and we got to spend a whole hour with them before the concert. They sang five songs just for us, we got our pictures taken, and then they signed stuff and chatted with us. They are such a nice group of people and the show was one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen. I also came away with a signed booklet, signed CD, signed VIP pass, signed pirate hat, a sweatshirt, and a t-shirt.

One of the best birthday gifts ever!



Have you read any of the books I mentioned or seen Visions of Atlantis?

28 comments:

Karen Baldwin said...

I'd never heard of Visions of Atlantis...so I Googled. Wow! I like them. And how cool that you hubby got V.I.P.
Tickets and you got to spend time with them talking. I love their outfits. Very Alpha.

Cathrina Constantine said...

I've seen many of your pictures on FB! So awesome you met your favorite band. Enjoy!

Nick Wilford said...

Looks like you have a great eye for picking authors who write amazing twists.

That's a birthday you won't be forgetting. So much fun!

Bish Denham said...

Wow! What a great experience. I have not heard of this group and will have to go listen to them now. And, it's nice to know the author's you picked were right there from your press! How cool is that?

Tonja Drecker said...

Your husband has a knack for great presents! Looks like tons of fun.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Diane, I need to add the three books to my TBR list. Plot twists are my favourite.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats on your new release! That's awesome your husband took you to a concert for your birthday.

Olga Godim said...

Your publisher's perspective is extremely valuable on this issue. I need to check those books.
Great photos with your favorite band!

cleemckenzie said...

You look like you're having a darned good time! Your husbands knows how to make you happy.

diedre Knight said...

Congratulations on your latest release! Looks like you had a fabulous birthday - your husband is a gem ;-)

Fundy Blue said...

How fun for you to spend time with Visions of Atlantis, Diane! I really enjoyed the photos. I haven't read L. X. Cain's "Bloodwalker" yet, but I really enjoyed Alex's and Damien's books. Take care!

Jemi Fraser said...

Congrats on the latest release!
Great choices for the twists too!

Toi Thomas said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've read Dragon of the Stars and now I want to read these others as well. Glad you had a nice birthday and fun at your concert.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Karen, they are just such a fun band.

Olga, those three came to mind immediately and they are also three of our best selling books.

Fundy, you should read that one. One of our highest rated books.

I should've noted there is a reason the band is dressed like pirates. Their newest release is called Pirates!

Denise Covey said...

What a great birthday gift. I often wonder what happened to L.X. Cain. Twisty plots and great first sentences rock.

Sandra Cox said...

Good on your husband. You look so tiny next to those guys;)
I read Alex's and his definitely had a twist to it.
Take special care.

Loni Townsend said...

I'm sad we haven't heard from LX Cain in so long. I remember her last post when she said she was going offline and wasn't sure she'd be back. I hope she's okay.

Looks like you had an awesome birthday! Woot!

Liz A. said...

Happy birthday. What a great gift.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I don't think I realized it was your first release in ten years. Congratulations again! Cool about your birthday gift.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Denise and Loni, she had a serious health issue then her husband died, compounding her problems. I've not spoken to her in ages either.

Shannon, first one in that long! Too busy with my authors.

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

I'm also amazed at people who can remember lines from books. I dont have that kind of memory. That's neat that you saw and met Visions of Atlantis! It's nice when celebrities are friendly with their fans.

Star Gambling said...

The article is beneficial in helping readers gain a greater understanding of the topic and form their own opinions.

Diane Burton said...

I've read Alex's book and you're right. I'll have to check out the others.

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Congrats on the new release--I love the cover! And I'm startled to realize that I haven't yet read Alex's books--time to get started.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Speaking of LX, I miss her and her blog updates. If you happen to be sending her a check, throw in a hello from me.

emaginette said...

I've never seen such a happy face. Looks like you had so much fun. :-)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Diane - what a great birthday present ... and as Emaginette says ... you look so happy! Fun. Thanks for the recommendations re VLP publications - good luck to one and all - and your VLP - cheers Hilary

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I love it. What a cute, fun photo and lifelong memory. They need your spitfire red in the middle there.