Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tales From The Bookshelf

Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires Series #1) by Rachel Caine
Pub. Date: October 2006
247pp

From the Publisher:

From the author of the popular Weather Warden series. Welcome to Morganville, Texas.

Just don't stay out after dark.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero.


When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

I wish I could say I really liked this book, but I had a difficult time getting into the story. It seemed to lope along and it wasn't until two thirds of the way into the book before a real plot point/crisis emerged. The synopsis was correct about one thing - the roommates are not very lively! Michael was the most interesting character, especially when his 'secret' is revealed. I had a hard time believing the other two residents of the Glass House didn't know, though. The characters seemed so matter-of-fact regarding their predicament, too.
 
The writing felt choppy, with many incomplete sentences. I know it's the style of many YA books, but I found it difficult to read.
 
Overall, I just couldn't get into it. I know it's highly rated by most readers, but it just didn't do it for me. I like my vampire tales with a bit more bite - and with a few more vampires! Guess I've just watched Underworld too many times...
 
FTC disclaimer - this book was loaned to me by a friend and yes, I will be giving it back!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Nothing worse than a book that is choppy and difficult to get in to. I usually don't get far in a book like that.

I like vamp books, but like other books, they have to move!

(What is FTC?)

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Thanks for the review, Diane. I'll pass on this one for my son.

I like the *idea* of it...too bad the pace didn't work out.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Helen Ginger said...

Probably not my kind of book, but I do find it interesting that books written today for young people are often quite different from what we read as young people - both in content and style.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well, after Underworld and Blade, I guess I'd have to say I like my vampire tales violent, bloody and with lots of action. That kind of story has to MOVE.

Kristi said...

I'm an admitted Underworld addict! Own all 3 and LOVE them.

I can totally see your point...thanks as always for sharing! I have too many books in line to read already!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I felt bad that I didn't like it, as my friend loved the series. It just didn't click for me. Too many things felt contrived.

Alex and Kristi, Underworld rocks!!! And I'm probably more fascinated with the lycan than the vamps.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I think the vampire thing has been over done or maybe I'm just getting old! They tend to keep getting shuffled to the bottom of my to-read stack.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks for the review! It doesn't sound like my style, but you never know :)

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

Except for Rice, I've never read any vampire stuff. Not even Stephenie's stuff! But this sounds really intriguing. Good luck!
Best,
Carolyn

L. Diane Wolfe said...

There's several books in this series, so it's successful. Just didn't rock my world.

Mayra Calvani said...

Thanks for the honest review, Diane. I hate it when books are hyped then turn out to be poor. I had the same experience with the book TANTALIZE, also a paranormal (vampire) young adult novel (series).

Creative Chronicler said...

Love vamp stories, but hate chppy plots. Thanks for the heads up on this one.