I’m over at The Insecure Writer’s Support Group today, covering the pros & cons and dos & don’ts of audio books.
Marketing makes the world go around...
Writers love what they do, but most don't make much money at it... and we sure don't like marketing!
Marketing is a necessary evil - I need to sell books to justify writing more to my publisher. But it doesn't have to be an evil enterprise. I enjoy going to book events - it's where I sell the most books! I connect with readers and when that happens, they want to read the book.
But today, I want to give some advice for another way authors can connect with readers. VIDEO MARKETING! Now, don't go shrieking back to your den of anonymity. You don't have to show your face if you don't want to, though it will help if you face that fear. All you have to do is...
Read a Passage
from your book
To give you a little more help, I also have some suggestions to enhance your video reading, by genre...
Sci Fi/Fantasy - give your readers a sense of wonder
- you know how Star Wars starts - blam! then a super short background blurb about the world they're about to enter
- use a natural or fantastical background to go with your story
- dress the part
- edit "magic/technological wonder" into your reading
Romance/Women's Fiction/Historical - enrapture your readers with emotion
- introduce your reading with a short blurb about where the story came from, what moved you to write it
- can you relate to one of the characters, is one of them based on you? or someone you know?
- music can really enhance a dramatic scene
Thriller/Mystery/Horror - leave readers hanging in suspense!
- become the villain or hero in your reading (you could even wear a mask!)
- intro the scene with your blurb from the MC's POV
- pick a scene with big buildup and an awesome cliffhanger
- music enhances these exciting scenes too
YA/Children's/Humor - make readers LOL
- tell a joke
- have a young person read with/for you, or better yet, act it out!
- have a fake argument over who liked it more
- use puppets
- use funny voices
Here is some general advice for any video:
- Keep them short, 5 minutes or less is a good length
- Include the cover of your book and your links!
- Smile (or stay in character)
- Test it before you send it
- In all these videos, one thing is constant:
Don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself for your book!
We are here to entertain, educate, and encourage!
We want to get people interested in reading!
I've made videos in the past (BTW you can include viewing your video as part of a giveaway entry!) and I plan to make more this year. (here's my youtube channel)
But rather than bore you with more of me, I want to share this phenomenal example of how to reach readers - with a video review! Tonja Drecker is stepping out of a reader/writer comfort zone to make video reviews, and I was lucky enough that she chose to review CRADLE ROCK. Such an awesome gift! Check it out!!
So, are you ready to put yourself and your book out there??
The world is ready to enjoy it!
Thanks for hosting me, Diane! It was great fun and I even inspired myself to get to work on a new video! I hope you all are ready to start 2017 with a positive attitude - always a great beginning!
Tara Tyler has had a hand in everything from waitressing to rocket engineering. After moving all over, she now writes and teaches math in Ohio with her three active boys and Coach Husband. Currently she has two series, Pop Travel (techno-thriller detective capers) and Beast World (fantasy adventures). To squeeze in writing, she economizes her time aka the Lazy Housewife. Make every day an adventure!
Talk to me!
Author Blog ~~ @taratylertalks ~~ Facebook ~~ Housewives Blog
Sign up for my quarterly newsletter if you'd like to find out more and you could win something! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCybPmS63Y7oNit0qvykRw0Q