Wednesday, February 01, 2023

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group and Dancing Lemur Press News


It’s time for another edition of The Insecure Writer’s Support Group, founded by Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Today’s question: If you are an Indie author, do you make your own covers or purchase them? If you publish trad, how much input do you have about what goes on your cover?

At Dancing Lemur Press, all of our covers are made in-house by our illustrator. Only once did we use a stock image. (At the author’s insistence and we’ve always regretted it as I’ve seen it on another cover. That is why we will NEVER AGAIN use a stock image. One’s cover should be unique.)

I am the one that chooses the scene and often ask the author for more details or their input. Then I let the illustrator work his magic. I usually only make suggestions if asked or on my own covers. (I try not to interfere as I am the writer and publisher, not the illustrator!)


* * *

And in the world of Dancing Lemur Press…



We recently signed Shelly Ellis for another Bubba & Squirt novel.
The next one will be Bubba and Squirt: City of Bones.
We’ll keep you posted on cover art and release date.


Last year we also signed Damien Larkin for a third Mars book – Blood Red Steel.
It is currently with the head editor and we’ll have cover art for it soon.
Release date is October 3, 2023.


Tales From the Valley by WATCH Youth
comes out March 7.
Juvenile Fiction – short stories/action & adventure
Print ISBN 9781939844934, $10.95
eBook ISBN 9781939844941, $3.99
Preorder links will be up soon.
This is a special kids project and headed up by Elizabeth Seckman.



And finally, In Darkness: The Vampire comes out next Tuesday!

In Darkness: The Vampire
By L. Diane Wolfe


Souls shrouded in darkness…

Stuck working as a barmaid for her demanding father, Anna dreams of adventure. When mysterious strangers enter the bar, she overhears they seek Zancrela, an ancient fortress filled with treasure and a magical library. Taking her chance, she offers to guide them. The conditions: deliver Zancrela or die.

As they journey through the wilderness, she discovers their secret: they are vampires. And most view her as food. One takes interest in her and her heart dares to hope, but it might not be enough to change her fate. Will Anna find Zancrela or become a vampire morsel?


Release date – February 7, 2023
Romance/Paranormal/Vampires - Fantasy/Paranormal - Fantasy/Romance
eBook ISBN 9781939844903
$3.99 eBook available in all formats

Links: Amazon / iTunes / Barnes & Noble / Kobo / Scribed / Goodreads

I checked and the first printing of How to Publish and Promote Your Book Now, my last book, was in 2013!!!!

This is my first book in ten years. I’ve had a long time to slowly work on it and the next three in the In Darkness series – The Shark, The Werewolf, and The Alien. And I am super proud of this novella, a unique twist on the vampire tale.

There are several Goodreads lists where this title would fit. An author cannot nominate her own book, but perhaps some of you could pick a list and nominate it for me?



How involved are you with your covers? Which DLP release are you looking forward to? If you are on Goodreads, I would appreciate a nomination and would be happy to return the favor.

31 comments:

Bish Denham said...

Congratulations on your book, Diane! One thing about the covers for Dancing Lemur Press is that they stand out, while at the same time have a continuity of similarity. A person knows instantly what press published that book.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Next week is your book! And cool Damien and Sherry have new books coming out soon.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats on your new book. I could share about it in Follower News on 2/13/2023. Email me if you're interested. And congrats to Sherry and Damien on their upcoming releases.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Congrats! It's crazy how time sneaks up on us! Dumb ol' time. And yay, on the new signings!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Congratulations to you!

And great things happening at Dancing Lemur Press!

Diane Burton said...

Wow. Dancing Lemur has such great offerings. Congrats on your new release. Time does fly, doesn't it? It can also get away from you--happened to me, too.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Happy for you, Diane. I do wish you'd do a post on how you do it. Your energy level is amazing.

Karen Baldwin said...

Wooo Hoooo! Much success on your new book!!!!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Diane, I have always loved the covers that Dancing Lemur Press has done. Your in-house illustrator does an amazing job.

Computer Tutor said...

Really good point about the public domain image being used other places. I hadn't even considered that. Hmm...

Loni Townsend said...

Grats on the new book! Woot!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Thank you, Bish.

Natalie, I will.

Joylene, that might scare some people.

Rachna, thank you.

Jacqui, I have seen the same image on THREE different books, which is terrible.

Jemi Fraser said...

Good luck with your book release!!

emaginette said...

I agree. Unique is always better. Works with snowflakes, doesn't it. hehehe

Anna from elements of emaginette

Carol Kilgore said...

I wouldn't even attempt my own covers. Congrats on your upcoming release! It sounds like a really good read.

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Diane! I'm looking forward to Sherry and Damien's books, but I want to read your novellas first. That has to wait until I get home. Now that my eyes have improved so much, I can actually sit down and read for several hours. So many good books, so little time! Wishing you success with your latest novella. Take care!

Sandra Cox said...

That's the downside of stock photos, for sure. Yours always look great.

Gwen Gardner said...

Your new cover is awesome, Diane!

I once saw the same stock photo on two different author covers. I wouldn't want that.

Yvonne Ventresca said...

Congratulations on the new book!

Olga Godim said...

Good luck with your book, Diane.

Marie Andreas said...

I'm very involved with my cover process, but I've been lucky to find some amazing artists to work with, and so far (26 books out) LOVE all of my covers :). Some more than others, but don't tell them back ;).

Some are using stock or original photos, but are painted over enough to not look the same. I figure as long as they're eye catching, give a feeling for the genre, and a bit about the character--I'm good!

Steph W. said...

The new book sounds great, Diane! I'm excited to read it. Love the cover, too!

Liz A. said...

It's good to have someone in house to illustrate covers. That makes it easier to get good covers.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Diane - I must say if I was publishing anything ... I'd go with you, if possible. Your covers stand out, while your posts cover points we all need to consider in the process of publishing ... good luck with the new release. Congratulations to Dancing Lemur Press - and all contributors ... cheers Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Louise, thank you.

Gwen, I know - it's not good.

Liz, it sure does. And he works cheap.

Thank you so much, Hilary.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Your covers are captivating and unique. They give a good impression of what to expect inside.

Sherry Ellis said...

I love the Bubba and Squirt covers! I'm very much looking forward to what he creates for the next book.

Thanks for the shout-out!

I pre-ordered both of your books and am looking forward to reading them! So happy that you're releasing some of your own.

Juneta key said...

Love the fact you have a new book. Congratulations. I pre-ordered and voted on all the Goodreads list. Wishing you much success

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Re-used stock images on book covers is actually more common than you think. A unique cover is always better though.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

We'll be selling autographed copies for $16 if anyone wants one signed by the kiddos. That would get them a great read and they'll be donating to a great cause- keeping our kiddos engaged in creative, healthy ways!

Thanks for your help with this project!

Toi Thomas said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Glad to hear Dancing Lemur has so much coming out.
I'm very excited about your In Darkness series. I've made my pre-order.