Wednesday, December 07, 2022

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group and What Does a Publisher Do All Week?


It’s time for another edition of The Insecure Writer’s Support Group, founded by Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Today’s question: It's holiday time! Are the holidays a time to catch up or fall behind on writer goals?

I tend to catch up as Dancing Lemur Press business is slow the second half of the month and I use that time for my own work and to catch up on other projects.

I did manage to finish the fourth story in my In Darkness series, The Alien, last month. It will sit for a bit and then I will tackle revisions. Probably during the Christmas break.


I do want to share with you what my work week looks like. I have no typical work week as it all depends on what is in the pipeline and at what stage. So I will share some of what I did last week:

Edits on stories for Tales From the Valley (Due out March 7 next year. This is a special collaboration with Elizabeth Seckman.)


Review requests for In Darkness: The Shark

Royalty payments and statements for Q3 2022

Finished writing In Darkness: The Alien

Set two events for next year

Back cover for Tales From the Valley set


Formatted half of the stories for Tales From the Valley

Replied to numerous submissions

Completed November bookkeeping


Back cover synopsis for Blood Red Steel set. (The third in Damien Larkin’s Mars series!)

Worked with my illustrator on cover art for In Darkness: The Werewolf

And many other minor details that go along with being a publisher


My husband says I am the worst boss ever as I never give myself time off!

But I do have fun doing it.

As proof, my friend Ticia went with me to man the booth at Havelock Comic Con a couple weeks ago (instead of my poor husband) and we had a blast! Not to mention it was another stellar weekend of sales.



Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

32 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

You're a very demanding boss, ha! You tackle a lot every day and always do a great job.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats on your writing project. I'm glad you have more time for yourself during the holidays. Be a good boss and give yourself some time off.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Just as I suspected, you work hard! I tell everyone who will listen just how fabulous you are, Diane. So I hope your ears are ringing, but I hope that doesn't infringe on your work schedule. Don't forget to put your feet up. While it is fun to work, overworking eventually catches up with you.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm exhausted just reading that...
Damien has another book coming out? Cool!

Loni Townsend said...

Wow! You've always got something going, don't you?

Nick Wilford said...

That's only some of what you do in a week? Wow. I couldn't be a publisher. But you do it very well!

H. R. Sinclair said...

The Comic Con sounds like it was fun. Your work week, less fun--but fun and demanding. 😳 Happy Holidays!

Bish Denham said...

Busy, busy lady! I glad the sales were good and that you had fun. Your energy has always amazed me.

Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!

Tyrean Martinson said...

You do work really hard, and I'm always impressed by all you do.
Congratulations on your writing and publisher journey!

Merry Christmas!

Jemi Fraser said...

When work is fun, it's not all that hard to work a lot, is it? :)
Have a wonderful holiday!!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Natalie, I will try.

Thank you so much, Joylene.

Nick, that's why it's full time and then some.

Chemist Ken said...

Congrats on finishing your story, That's always a major accomplishment. Give yourself plenty of time off, you're the boss, after all, and even bosses deserve a break.

Gwen Gardner said...

You do a lot! Remember to take care of yourself, too.

Merry Christmas, Diane!

J.Q. Rose said...

Never a dull moment for you!! Congrats on getting your Alien book ready for editing. Happy Holidays. Maybe your boss will give you time off to see what Santa delivered to you on Christmas Day???

Victoria Marie Lees said...

You are totally amazing, Diane! Seriously! You can get so much accomplished in a week. Bravo! And I love the name of your blog. More power to you! Merry Christmas and all the luck in 2023!

Olga Godim said...

You should rest a little during the holidays. It is always good to have short breaks now and then.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Sounds like you're super busy. Gotta love it! Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

Steph W. said...

Sounds like a very involved and enjoyable job! Glad the event went well!

Sandra Cox said...

Oh yay! I'm glad you had a buddy to go with you to the con.

Liz A. said...

That's quite the busy week. Are you sure your boss won't let you have some vacation time? ;)

Rachna Chhabria said...

Congratulations Diane, on your writing projects. Wishing you Merry Christmas and happy holidays in advance.

cleemckenzie said...

That's a lot of To Do's, Diane. But you manage so well. And congratulations on finishing that next story! Great job. Have a wonderful Christmas.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

JQ, I will take that day off - no Internet or anything.

Sandra, she is ready to go to another one.

Toi Thomas said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.
You've been busy lately but it sounds like a good thing.
Glad your Con was good for sales.
Merry Christmas!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

It's a blessing to do what you love and love what you do.
More blessings to you, Diane.
Merry Christmas!

Fundy Blue said...

Your booth looks wonderful, Diane! I'm glad that you had another weekend of stellar sales! Please take care of yourself!

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Love the booth and the sign! Thanks for all you do with Dancing Lemur Press!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Diane - I can see you're a professional, who loves their work and is stimulated by all the jobs that need doing ... so I congratulate you - and am happy you and Ticia had such obvious fun at Havelock Comicon ... cheers Hilary

SpacerGuy said...

Thats a lot of novels to market for fans to enjoy. Theres so much variety these days. I can see some Stone Man, Music Boxes, Bloodwalker, and Cassastar. Merry Christmas!

Annalisa Crawford said...

Wow, that's a lot accomplished! I hope you'll give yourself a nice relaxing Christmas. Merry Christmas to you!

Sandra Cox said...

Wishing you Happy Holidays, Di.

Sherry Ellis said...

Happy New Year! You are a busy lady. I love your work ethic! I know being that busy can drive you crazy sometimes, and it's important to get a little downtime. But you have a lot to show for your efforts! Looking forward to reading your new book when it comes out!