Making a good impression is important - especially for those of us in the public’s eye.
So how does one go about making a good impression? If a first impression is critical and poor one difficult to overcome, how do we ensure a pleasant recollection in the minds of those we encounter? Let me outline a few simple rules you should follow:
• Offer a smile. Nothing conveys acceptance or friendliness quite like a genuine smile. It also reduces or eliminates your fear. You cannot smile and feel scared or worried at the same time!
• Maintain eye contact. This conveys respect for the person and belies a good self-image on your part.
• Use the other’s name and often. You will convey courtesy and respect, not to mention remember the person’s name by repeating it several times during the course of conversation.
• Focus on that person. As we discussed earlier, do not dominate the conversation, but rather allow the other person to become the center of attention.
There’s also a list of DON’Ts:
• Disagree - unless it really matters
• One-up the other person
• Try to sound perfect
All you will do is damage the other person’s self worth - and that’s not good!
As with all people skills, there are no gimmicks, but there is a secret when it comes to impressions. One surefire way to make a good impression on someone is to let him know he is making one on you!
Are you making a good impression today?
* Excerpts from Overcoming Obstacles with SPUNK!