Thursday, February 12, 2009

Tips for the traveler…

Here are some tips for those authors traveling the road.
Some are just practical tips. Some are from experience…

Always carry extra books with you, in case the bookstore/library/whatever flakes and forgets to order.

Always carry cash AND a credit card.

Bring a change of clothes if you tend to slop your drinks while driving.

Never stop at a gas station if one of the vehicles is on fire.

And of course, always carry a camera!

A map and/or GPS is highly recommended!

Pack water bottles and food bars or other snacks. You don’t want to dehydrate and if you don’t bring a snack, hunger will drive you to buy something really unhealthy!

Be sure your have the phone number of the place to where you are traveling, so if you are stuck in traffic (such as in the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel) you can call and let them know you may be running late…

Watch for animals on the road – deer, dogs, mules… (Wish I’d gotten a photo of that last one!)

Do not rely on the radio for inspiration and entertainment! Take CD’s or invest in XM/Sirius Radio.

And last but not least...
Never use your windshield wiper fluid when your windows are down!!!


What other tips would you suggest?



10 comments:

Prill Boyle said...

Off the top of my head, the only thing I'd add is that when I'm driving long distances, I always bring with me a bag of baby carrots. The physical act of chewing something crunchy helps keep me awake and alert. Carrots have an advantage over other crunchy snacks by virtue of being healthy, not to mention good for vision.

Mike Douglas said...

"Never stop at a gas station if one of the vehicles is on fire."

Or ... bring a bag of marshmallows in case you're almost out of gas and you have no choice.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Mike, don't forget the graham crackers!

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

Hey! You should have those books with you even if you're just driving to that service station (you know, the one with the vehicle on fire that Mike mentioned). While people are milling about, you can talk about your book. (-:

Best,
Carolyn Howard-Johnson
www.howtodoitfrugallly.com

Ann Parker said...

I carry lemon drops for a queasy stomach... just in case. :-)

Mike Douglas said...

"Mike, don't forget the graham crackers!"

...and Hershey bars for S'mores...

"When life hands you lemons – you make lemonade." *grin*

Anonymous said...

I keep books in my car! And the GPS system has been the best investment I have made...when it comes to finding those well hidden venues.

Oh...don't forget to collect email addresses. It works better than telling them to subscribe to your blog. Because they will forget to follow through.

That's why I also send an ezine! One that is uncomplicated (and I use) is Author's Den. It does cost money, but it's well worth it to me.

I say this because many of my audience members are not regular blogging/tech folks...they don't blog, they don't use feeders, they don't twitter (neither do I really)and they don't seek out blogs.

I believe it's an untapped market and so I am on a mission to find them all. :)

Allyn

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Oh, I always collect email addresses, Allyn!

I was saving that for the next batch of tips. Thought I'd focus on actual miles on the road for this one!

Morgan Mandel said...

If you're not trying to impress anyone until you get to your destination, wear baggy clothes, especially if it's a long trip. You'll feal much more comfy.

I don't remember. Did you mention sunglasses or a cap with a visor for bright days?

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/morganmandel

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Good advice. Only thing I can add is to pack a phone charger for the car - my phone always seems to be dead when I need it the most.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/janesutton/