It’s time for another edition of The Insecure Writer’s Support Group, founded by Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh.
August 5 question - As a writer/author what is something you regret? Or something that you wish you'd done differently in your writing process?
I wish I’d honed my craft better before the release of my first series of books. I did great with my two non-fiction but I feel more experience, better editing, and more practice would’ve helped my first fiction titles. My second set of fiction titles are worlds better and I am so proud of them, but that first set will forever taint me and keep readers from finding my paranormal romance series.
August 5 question - As a writer/author what is something you regret? Or something that you wish you'd done differently in your writing process?
I wish I’d honed my craft better before the release of my first series of books. I did great with my two non-fiction but I feel more experience, better editing, and more practice would’ve helped my first fiction titles. My second set of fiction titles are worlds better and I am so proud of them, but that first set will forever taint me and keep readers from finding my paranormal romance series.
* * *
Garden still growing and I am attacking homemade versions of all the highly-processed foods we no longer want to consume. I make my own pancake mix, sun dried tomatoes, salad dressings, tortillas, bagels, croutons, etc. We use Stevia, honey, and maple syrup only. Organic peanut butter. Even homemade crackers. And with the garden exploding, I am drying so many herbs and such now.
I also have my own catnip tree. Yes, that plant to the left is catnip. Over twelve feet tall!
I still enjoy doing charcuterie boards. Here are some from the past couple months:
What do you regret? What do you make in your kitchen or from your garden?




I think many authors have your regret. Wow! It's awesome how you're making so much of your food from scratch--even crackers. I'm impressed.
ReplyDeleteI hear you! But it's hard to know what you don't know, eh? Experience is a painful teacher, but the best one.
ReplyDeleteI hear you! But we learn and we grow and we put down deeper roots like the plants in our gardens, right? I am so impressed by your garden and all of your homemade food. Wow!
ReplyDeleteThe beauty of being self-published is you can go back and revise your books. Nothing wrong with updating the interior files or (if there are major changes) taking the old ones down and publishing new versions.
ReplyDeleteYour post is making me hungry. LOL Yum!
Wow, those boards look incredible, Diane! I so envy your family. And the catnip is insane. Do you get a lot of kitties?
ReplyDeleteCurrently, I'm most excited about my new passion fruit vine and my Jamaica cherry tree. The passion fruit grows a bit each day. I'm using my window bars as a trellis and it's already almost reached the top.
As for your regret, I'm really sorry to hear you feel that way, but why would it "forever taint" readers against you and your series? Do you feel any desire to fix them up and re-release?
What absolutely gobsmacking boards!! SO many authors share your regret--sending the best vibes and hugs.
ReplyDeleteI, for one, really enjoyed your Circle of Friends series, Diane. I can see lots of growth in your later books, but that doesn't negate my pleasure in the earlier ones. I don't have a garden, but I nearly always try to buy organic produce and the least processed food I can to prepare meals at home. That said, if I'm wiped out, I'm not above going to the Taco Bell less than a mile away. (Well, Terry makes the run.). Your charcuterie boards are mouthwatering!
ReplyDeleteI do wish I'd known for my first books what I know now, but I had to do them to get here... I don't think mine taint me, but I do think they could be better.
ReplyDeleteSo who eats your lovely charcuterie boards? You must entertain! (This hermit-like writer has no reason to make such lovely things).
I have to time my arrivals here and make sure I have food for when I finish. Your boards make me famished! Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI share the same thought about that first book. It could have been better, but I didn't have the skills to improve it.
I've basically stopped eating processed food, too. But I don't have a garden like yours! Great job.
ReplyDeleteOh, gosh, your boards! I could almost taste all those foods. They are pieces of art, for sure. If there was a contest for such pictures, you would definitely be one of the winners.
ReplyDeleteYou might have books you are less proud of, but it doesn't mean there aren't readers who enjoyed them. Everything is a stepping stone somewhere else.
ReplyDeleteI'm so impressed with all that you make. I did that for a little while, but it became overwhelming. But I'm really excited about my tomatoes, beans, and cukes that are growing. I'm hoping to make some fridge pickles with the cukes soon.
ReplyDeleteNatalie, most crackers are so easy! Just have to find the right recipe.
ReplyDeleteMelissa, one day I will completely revisit that first series with a deep edit.
JH, I have two kitties who enjoy it. I just worry readers will find the first series before anything else and not go any further. And yes, I do want to clean them up even more some day.
Louise, I really appreciate that.
Rebecca, we have friends over often and game night with the guys twice a month. They are my practice as the guys would probably eat cardboard with ketchup on it if I served it.
Elizabeth, you should start one. Fresh tomatoes and basil are out of this world.
Olga, thank you so much.
Nick, thanks, I did have a lot of fans when they came out.
I think wishing our skills were as good then as they are now is a constant. I guess that’s the benefit of growth.
ReplyDeleteOh my, Di. I stand in awe of your healthy eating endeavors. That's amazing. Kudos. And I hear ya on some of the first books.
ReplyDeleteIt's unfortunate that your original series has impeded people finding your newer one, but maybe it was a learning vehicle for you, as well, which is how you got to where you are now? I'm impressed by all the stuff you make, food-wise! And I had no idea catnip could get that big.
ReplyDeleteImpressive! I would eat that.
ReplyDeleteI do make my own salad dressings and croutons. I've liked the idea of baking my own crackers but haven't gotten there yet. As always, I love seeing your charcuterie boards!
ReplyDelete