Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Photo Tuesday - My Characters are Movie Stars!

At least in my mind they are stars!

Saw this at The Alliterative Allomorph yesterday and thought it would be a fun post for me and anyone else who wants to join in.

She selected movie stars for her book's characters as if preparing to cast an actual film. Mine's just a little different. I'm a visual person. When creating The Circle of Friends, I selected actors and athletes who closely resembled my main characters. So while the cast below is probably too old to play late teens to early 20's aged people, they do represent a basic idea of what each character looked like in my head.

BOOK I


LORI

Athletic, pretty, and possessing long, blonde hair, I felt tennis star and model, Anna Kournikova, best fit the bill.







JASON

I already had a thing for actor Christian Bale, so when I found this photo, I knew I had my Jason.





BOOK II



SARAH

I never found a photo that fit my dark-haired tomboy to a T, but Fairuza Balk was close enough.







MATT

My tall, lanky wide receiver was a mixture between Denver’s wide receiver, Ed McCaffrey, and actor Hugh Jackman.







 
BOOK III


JAMES

I always pictured my troubled, dark-haired character with a sad expression, and selected actor Martin Henderson.


 



MARIA

Finding a petite actress who looked like Maria was tough - I finally settled on Rachel Weisz




BOOK IV



MIKE

My introverted nice guy who carries a load of guilt became Heath Ledger.


 





DANIELLE

A feisty, freckled redhead, Danielle most resembles Keri Russell.





BOOK V




HEATHER

Tall, athletic, and with short, curly hair, my most dominating and ornery character fit Sean Young to a T.





MARK

Sadly, I never selected a visual for Mark, in part because he looks similar to his brother, Matt. I just pictured features that were less defined.

 
BTW - the best part was searching the Internet for photos of Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman!
 
 
So, do you look for real people who look like your characters? Have you ever thought about who would portray your characters in a movie? And have I totally blown anyone's vision regarding my characters?

36 comments:

The Alliterative Allomorph said...

Very cool! Nicely done. Ooh I love hugh Jackman ;)

WELCOME TO MY WORLD OF POETRY: said...

Most impressed. As I write poetry I can't really have stars portraying my poems but for those who write books it's a grand idea.

Have a lovely day.

Yvonne.

Kristi said...

I never actually look for photos for my characters, I have no idea why! But I'm sure enjoying looking at yours...yumm...you have EXCELLENT taste! :-)

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Yeah, you've blown my mind! Your characters are exactly as I pictured them … except for Heather. Don't have any idea why I pictured her with long, blonde hair. Jason! He looks exactly like I thought! Yummy!

I'm saying this everywhere I visit today: It's so good to be visiting blogs! I've missed this so much! And CCP will be back online tomorrow! It'll be SO good to be back among all the great people in the blogosphere!

India Drummond said...

I love it! I do something very similar, but I tend to take pictures from photo sites like hotornot or facebook, because if I use celebrities, I'll too often think of roles I'd seen them in before. If I use strangers, I feel more free to let them act however I want.

Tamara Narayan said...

I'd like to see Dakota Fanning play my twenty-something kidnapping psychic just because she's an awesome actress. But I'd better get on the stick with getting published or she'll outgrow the role.

Creepy Query Girl said...

I'm going to have to do this soon- it looks like so much fun! great picks!

Mike Douglas said...

heh ... This is pretty amazing. Most of these are very close to the way I visualize the characters. As a reader, once I get these visualizations in my head, they never let go right or wrong. I'm a fan of V.I. Warshawski (reading the latest right now), and I've always pictured Kathleen Turner because she was in that movie. I'm sure Ms. Turner was never even close to what the author intended, but it doesn't matter... the damage is done.

Mr. Stupid said...

Wow. This is a great idea. Selecting moving stars for Book characters is great. But what makes it better is choosing the right ones to portray a character...:)

arlee bird said...

This is bad for me because I hardly know who any actors are, especially younger ones. So I haven't really thought of it, but I can certainly see where this would be a good exercise.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Nancy J. Parra said...

Wow- love these photos. This is something a lot of writer's do. I like it, but have never tried it.

cheers~

Debbie's World of Books said...

Great pics! I always have a hard time thinking of who should play my favorite book characters but a lot of these come pretty close to how I pictured them.

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Actually, eerie good job on chosing the cast. Just like I pictured!
Great idea, looks like fun to try it.

Okie said...

That's a pretty fun exercise/experiment. I may have to try it out with some of my characters. I've never really thought of them in terms of who might play them...could be interesting. :)

Talli Roland said...

Oh yes, I love Christian Bale. He's great. Fun exercise!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sometimes I do...especially for secondary characters if I can't seem to get a mental picture of them. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've never really thought about it. I have no idea who looks like my characters!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Sorry I was gone most of today, guys!

Thank you, Kristi! And yes, Talli, Bale is sexy. You should see the photo of him from American Psycho lying naked in a tanning bed...

Crystal, Mike, Debbie, and Terry - that is good to know! I guess I described them well.

Helen Ginger said...

What a cast! Wouldn't it be interesting to see a book made into a movie and see who the director picked to play your characters?

Straight From Hel

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

What fun! I haven’t looked for real people that look like my characters. However, when I daydream about seeing my book as a movie, I do pick out a few stars in my head for the leading parts, but they’re subject to change with each dream.

Riv Re said...

I am sooo going to post something like this on my blog ;)

Lynn said...

How fun! I have to try this one day! And, I do miss Heath. sigh...

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks of their characters as stars of your story. Good to know I'm not alone. And, I've used Hugh Jackman in a story. He makes a hunky hero!

Jemi Fraser said...

Great choices - I bet you did have fun searching for the perfect photos! :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Riv and Lynn - do it! This was fun.

Kathi, Hugh is THE hunk!

Alissa said...

I've never gone looking for my characters, but every once in awhile I will accidentally meet one in a television show or movie. It's a little disorienting.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Several of my writing friends use this technique when plotting out their novels. :)

The Old Silly said...

Oooh, this was so fun! Having read a couple of the books, seeing the pics of who you had in mind was pretty cool. I don't do that - pick movie stars or athletes as visuals for my characters ... I do use visualizations of people I have known or observed in life, though.

Ashmodai said...

Such a great idea!
And fairly interesting. Christian Bale, yes! =D

Stephen Tremp said...

Great posy. Its fun to play this game. I'd select Matthew McConnaughy to play Chase, Jessica Alba the bad girl, and Serth Rogan to play Chase's best friend Bennie.

Oh, and stop by today as I left you an award.

Stephen Tremp

Creative Chronicler said...

Great choices! I miss Fairuza's acting. She needs to make some new films.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Marvin - you've read a couple of my books? Really?????? When did this happen?

Thanks, Stephen!

CC, don't know whatever happened to her. Remember one of her first films - Return to Oz?

Mike Douglas said...

I think Fairuza Balk is a perfect choice as Sarah - she's got that goth thing going on. Loved her in "The Craft."

~Sia McKye~ said...

You put some thought into this, I'm impressed. I agree, Keith Ledger is a good Mike.

I loved looking at YOUR perception of your characters. :-)

Susan Fields said...

Great pics! I do the same thing, and always enjoy that part of the research. :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Mike, I guess I did good then!

Sia, that's good to know I selected a good Mike. As I said, I didn't want to blow anyone's perceptions of the characters.